Even just one time use of these can result in death!!!!!
If you are
- a loving parent just trying to do something for your child as they go through the teething process,
- often using cough drops, throat sprays, canker sore/cold sore gels or liquids,
- using products to kill pain from cuts and scrapes
You NEED TO START READING LABELS of the products you use!!!! The life of your child or yourself is in jeopardy!!!!
The FDA has put out a new warning on products that contain an ingredient called Benzocaine. There is a condition resulting from it’s use carrying varying degrees of severity, with toddlers at the greatest risk because of their teething treatments. It’s called Methemoglobinemia, and it’s a direct result of benzocaine use where the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood is significantly reduced to the point of possible death!
“Benzocaine is a local anesthetic commonly used as a topical pain reliever. You can also find it in cough drops, throat sprays, and gels or liquids used for teething and canker sores (cold sores).
Over-the-counter benzocaine products are typically used for pain associated with cuts and scrapes, sore throats, canker sores, and teething. There are far safer alternatives to treat all of these discomforts.” See more info on this HERE on mercola.com
According to Drugs.com:
“Methemoglobinemia has been reported with all strengths of benzocaine gels and liquids, and cases occurred mainly in children aged two years or younger who were treated with benzocaine gel for teething.”
You should be reading your labels carefully anyway, but this is an ingredient you want to make sure NEVER enters anyone in your family again. The skin is your body’s largest organ and whatever you put ON the skin gets IN the body as well.. so remember that just because you’re not getting it in the mouth or in an open wound that you’re safe.
Every medication has side-effects which are actually your body’s toxic response to the chemicals and ingredients in the medication.. and there really is no such thing as a safe medication.
There are many all natural and safe ways to manage pain in general, as well as teething, throat pain and sore throats, cold sores and canker sores, cuts and scrapes, chronic pain, etc. Here’s a link to Dr. Mercola’s article for some great descriptions on these.
- Ice is the best pain reliever… keep them handy.. and apply 10 minutes for thinner body parts and 20 minutes for thicker parts. Never more than 20 minutes, but to optimize the process take it off for 30 minutes or more, then re-apply for another 10-20 and repeat. Make sure to keep a thin layer of fabric (like a cotton t-shirt) between the ice and your skin.
- For teething help: refrigerated teething rings, or frozen dampened washcloths, or even the mesh baby snack holders with frozen fruit in it work great. Also check on homeopathic teething tabs or liquids as these have been helpful, too.
- Raw Honey for: Sore Throats and wound care. See Dr. Mercola’s descriptions here for more info on how to use these.
- Canker Sores/Cold Sores are often an autoimmune response relating to chocolate, citrus, or wheat! Stop eating these foods and you’ll likely see an improvement.
- The best pain killer that’s 100% natural, powerful, and can be done anywhere without any cost is a self-administered form of emotional, needle-less acupuncture called EFT or Emotional Freedom Technique. We use this and recommend you learn it as well.
Also, don’t forget that the nerve system communicates the appropriate messages from your brain to your body, and from the body back to the brain for injury and wound feedback as well as healing response. Chiropractic checkups followed by regular chiropractic care and additional visits during challenging times are recommended to insure that optimal messages are getting through between the brain-body connection. This keeps the healing response optimal for the body and provides the foundation for the most speedy recovery possible.
Ask us if you have any questions about how chiropractic checkups may help you, or if you want ideas of other safe, all natural options for your family.
April 25, 2011 Bryan Natusch, DC, www.uppervalleychiropractic.com